A Tunisian man detained on suspicion of involvement in last week’s Berlin truck attack has been released after investigators determined that he was not in contact with the main suspect immediately before the rampage.
The 40-year-old was detained in Berlin on Wednesday. Federal prosecutors said at the time that his telephone number was saved in Anis Amri’s mobile and they suspected he might have been involved.
Their spokeswoman Frauke Koehler said on Thursday that investigators had suspected Amri might have sent him a message and a picture over a messenger service shortly before the attack on a Christmas market on 19 December.
Associated Press in Berlin